Gardens of the Golden City
Gardens of the Golden City was the brainchild of Denise Voysey and Esther Townsend, of the Randburg Horticultural Society, with the encouragement of Peggy Morgan, all three are past chairladies.
Starting on a very small scale in 1997, garden clubs in and around Johannesburg were invited to join in by finding gardens in their areas which would be appreciated by the garden loving public. Since then Gardens of the Golden City has gone from strength to strength and over the years has become a keenly anticipated event in Johannesburg.
Our wonderful gardens, both very large and very small give great pleasure and inspiration to our visitors. The garden owners, the very special people to whom we feel especially indebted are the real heroes of our entire endeavour. With their generosity and kindness of spirit in sharing their gardens, talking with the visitors about their achievements, planning, planting ,cultivation; plus a hundred and one other questions, all have benefitted from a happy day in the garden.
Our aim is to raise funds for various charities, each one before being selected is interviewed and debated by our committee, and over the years we have donated to many well deserving associations, too many to nominate here but specified on our website.
This is an entirely voluntary organisation. All time and expenses in selecting the gardens are performed on a voluntary basis by members of the committee of Gardens of the Golden City.
We thank our sponsors, our supporters in the media but most of all our garden visitors.
Member Garden Clubs
- All Seasons Garden Club Annette Bohler 082 879 8962
- Bedfordview Garden Club Pam Heller-Stern 083 496 4756
- Country Garden Club Cecile Price 084 819 9085
- Johannesburg Garden Club Helena Mitchell 083 267 1661
- Randburg Horticultural Society Lynne Ludolph 082 689 0930
- Shady Ladies Nikki Ireland 082 902 9106
- The Horticultural Society Glynne Case 082 663 8498
- Thirty Something Garden Club Barbara Wassenaar 072 234 4120